• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
    I also was hoping for a tad more love with the 123 ELD, but I'm sure that is the actual B.C, compared to the AMAX which was slightly inflated, so it is an improvments of sorts.

On a side note, the 130 ELD-M, 147 ELD-M and the updated B.C on the 140 ELD-M will be fun load development in the 260 Rem.

I'm happy and shocked they are releasing two very attractive factory loads for the 260 (129SST Superformance and 130 ELD Match).

With the popularity of the Grendel seemingly skyrocketing lately, I think we will see lots of new ammo coming out in the near future.
    I was surprised and happy about the .260 Remington as well, especially being a 130gr ELD-M. Hope it works in my gasser.

The problem with elongating the 123gr is that you intrude into case capacity. They did raise the BC substantially with the 123gr ELD-M compared to the 123gr AMAX.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

is there an actual problem with the 123 grain amax bullets for the grendel tip deforming? is this just new and improved tide? oh, i want some but if anyone wants to sell off there old nasty 123 grain amax bullets for half price, let me know! you know what those blue specs are in that laundry detergent? blue specs,,,,,and those green tips in that zombie max hornady ammo,,,,kills deer and coyotes better than zombies as far as i can tell.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        Cost difference between the ELD and the Amax is about $0.05 per bullet.
        And the 130s are priced the same as the 123s at $.34 a piece. They offer a substance savings over the Berger 130 AR Hybrids ($.47) with a similar BC. It's a good time to be shooting a 6.5!
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I believe litz tested the 123 Amax and had a b.c of .46 something.. the 123 ELD is a true .506, that's quite a jump... actually I think the new 120 ELD has a higher B.C than the 123 amax.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
            is there an actual problem with the 123 grain amax bullets for the grendel tip deforming? is this just new and improved tide? oh, i want some but if anyone wants to sell off there old nasty 123 grain amax bullets for half price, let me know! you know what those blue specs are in that laundry detergent? blue specs,,,,,and those green tips in that zombie max hornady ammo,,,,kills deer and coyotes better than zombies as far as i can tell.
            I called them several months back and asked one of their ballistics lab techs about this, and he said the 123gr AMAX didn't stay fast enough long enough to deform.

I think the upgrading to ELD-M is just an economy of scale/manufacturing simplification for them so they don't have to mess with old tips anymore.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I called them several months back and asked one of their ballistics lab techs about this, and he said the 123gr AMAX didn't stay fast enough long enough to deform.

I think the upgrading to ELD-M is just an economy of scale/manufacturing simplification for them so they don't have to mess with old tips anymore.
              Ive had quite a few conversations with other shooters about this and that is the conclusion I came to.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

I went to hornady to order some of the new eld-x ammunition but they only produce the eld match. Is anyone reloading the 143g eld-x

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                  Ive had quite a few conversations with other shooters about this and that is the conclusion I came to.
                  Good to know - I think I'll stick with the SST as originally planned. Thanks for sharing

Comment

• lesbaer45
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2015

Anybody seen the new 10th Edition reloading manual from Hornady yet? With all these new bullets was wondering if there is new and improved 6.5G reloading data in there?

Not sure I would be willing to fork over for a copy if it's all minor or no updates on specific cartridges. I bought a used copy of the 9th off of Craigslist a year ago for cheap so I'm close to current as I can afford. :-)

Comment

• GarandThumb
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

Not yet. I'm curious to see if they included info on all these new ELD bullets including the 130 and 147. If those two bullets didn't make the cust then I see no reason to buy it and I'll probably wait for the 11th addition.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                        Well, Midway is preparing for the components. Not in stock, yet, but you can get a notification when they arrive.

Cost difference between the ELD and the Amax is about $0.05 per bullet.
                        Midway sent me a notification today that the 120, 123 and 130 ELD's are now in stock!
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                        X