• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

New Hornady Bullets...

Looks like the whole amax line is getting the eld treatment in addition to a few new bullets:

Hornady announces the new year of products - from Ammunition, Bullets, Reloading, to Security and more!

A couple of standouts..

a new 6.5 130gr eld looks very interesting for the Grendel. I've been keeping my eye open for a cheaper alternative to the berger 130s, maybe this will do.

A new 6.5 147 eld with insane bc. Obviously this isnt going to be a good grendel choice but this looks very interesting for my 260. I can push the 140 elds out to ~2900fps. If Hornady's bc's are accurate, this new bullet will cut a full moa of wind drift off at a 1000 yards while being 150 fps slower at the muzzle!

Add in the new Nosler hybrids and it's certainly an exciting time to be a reloader
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Interesting. They show a new product line of ammunition meant to work in America's favorite firearms, called the Black line.

Guess what? A new 6.5 Grendel 123gr ELD Match Black: http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Gre...D-Match-Black/

BC: .506
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

As to bullets, they show:

100gr ELD Match .386 / .194
      120gr ELD Match .486 / .245
      123gr ELD Match .506 / .255
      130gr ELD Match .554 / .279
      140gr ELD Match .646 / .326
      147gr ELD Match .697 / .351
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-26-2016, 08:33 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

So is the ELD pretty much an improved AMax? Straight jacket, non-bonded? Could i expect terminal performance like the amax?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
          So is the ELD pretty much an improved AMax? Straight jacket, non-bonded? Could i expect terminal performance like the amax?
          From what they've said, they are using the AMP jacket technology, uniform lead core metallurgy, but with the new tip that doesn't deform.

With the ELD Match projectiles, many of them have a new VLD shape to them, with long ogives, long boat tails, and much higher BCs than the AMAX line-up offered.

I wonder about the terminal performance as well. I guess we'll see.
          Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-26-2016, 09:44 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kb18no1
            Bloodstained
            • May 2015

Doesn't the current 123 grain Amax have a higher BC with .510?

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              As to bullets, they show:

100gr ELD Match .386 / .194
              120gr ELD Match .486 / .245
              123gr ELD Match .506 / .255
              130gr ELD Match .554 / .279
              140gr ELD Match .646 / .326
              147gr ELD Match .697 / .351
              Be still, my beating heart! Anyone found these at a retailer or online source, yet?
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kb18no1 View Post
                Doesn't the current 123 grain Amax have a higher BC with .510?
                The skinny on that is that the polymer tips deform along the bullet's flight path due to aero-heating, thus causing a decaying BC effect. Bryan Litz assigned an effective G1 BC of .468, based on observation. The lower BC is quite likely due to the deformation of the plastic tips. This deterioration, by the way, affects virtually every poly tipped bullet out there.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Of course, I'm sitting on about 1,600 Amax bullets. I decided late last spring that I wanted to have a years worth of reloading supplies on hand and purchased enough of everything to load a couple thousand rounds. Buy the time I get around to trying the 123 or 130 ELD the Horde will have a ton of first hand information to share ; )
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• kb18no1
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                    The skinny on that is that the polymer tips deform along the bullet's flight path due to aero-heating, thus causing a decaying BC effect. Bryan Litz assigned an effective G1 BC of .468, based on observation. The lower BC is quite likely due to the deformation of the plastic tips. This deterioration, by the way, affects virtually every poly tipped bullet out there.
                    Makes sense... thanks for the info!

Comment

• 1911man
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

This is freaking awesome! Can't wait.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

What I want is the new, sleeker ogive from the 130 and 147 to be put on the 123.

I will NEVER understand why, when manufacturers get a chance to start with a blank slate, that they don't actually IMPROVE the form factor of their projectiles.

For this reason, I'm excited about Nosler closing up the meplats of their new match line. What it takes to max out bullet performance is known physics, it ain't rocket science. Well, it sort of is. You know what I mean. . . .
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• davidj
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                          Of course, I'm sitting on about 1,600 Amax bullets. I decided late last spring that I wanted to have a years worth of reloading supplies on hand and purchased enough of everything to load a couple thousand rounds. Buy the time I get around to trying the 123 or 130 ELD the Horde will have a ton of first hand information to share ; )
                          I know how you feel. However it may be time to stock up on some,with the election just days away.
                          Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

I also was hoping for a tad more love with the 123 ELD, but I'm sure that is the actual B.C, compared to the AMAX which was slightly inflated, so it is an improvments of sorts.

On a side note, the 130 ELD-M, 147 ELD-M and the updated B.C on the 140 ELD-M will be fun load development in the 260 Rem.

I'm happy and shocked they are releasing two very attractive factory loads for the 260 (129SST Superformance and 130 ELD Match).

With the popularity of the Grendel seemingly skyrocketing lately, I think we will see lots of new ammo coming out in the near future.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Well, Midway is preparing for the components. Not in stock, yet, but you can get a notification when they arrive.

Cost difference between the ELD and the Amax is about $0.05 per bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X