• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDStroup
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2016

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!!!
    I just got an email response back from LEE for an email that i sent them at about 3am. Here is their reply copy and pasted.

Hello Michael,

We only have one size pin for our case length gauges and decapping pins. For any case with an undersize flash hole we recommend to drill out the hole with a 1/16" drill.

As to the Custom QT Dies for 6.5 Grendel, the SO1024 were custom overruns. It takes about 8 weeks +/- to get a Custom QT Die made and they cost $25.00 as did the overruns.

While i am not going to ruin Lapua brass for that, even though the Lee case length gauge trimmer is good, i want to try out the Quick trim as i have never used it before and i have one.

Comment

• dega37
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by MDStroup View Post
      ... I have been told Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass doesn't play nice with the Lee case length gauge...
      I haven't heard that, is that true?

Comment

• MDStroup
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2016

Well, i just got my second email back from Lee. I just have a small problem, i dont know any of the dimensions i need. If any one can look at the chart of the dimensions Lee needs to make the Quick trim die, and them tell me what they are on the grendel that would be awesome.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Well, i just got my second email back from Lee. I just have a small problem, i dont know any of the dimensions i need. If any one can look at the chart of the dimensions Lee needs to make the Quick trim die, and them tell me what they are on the grendel that would be awesome.

http://leeprecision.com/custom-rifle...-die-body.html
          Lee doesn't know there is a SAAMI spec for the Grendel?

Send them a link to the SAAMI page: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...%20Grendel.pdf

The max cartridge dimensions are shown in the upper drawing and the minimum chamber in the lower drawing.

They should not charge you a custom fee for a SAAMI spec cartridge.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• MDStroup
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
            Lee doesn't know there is a SAAMI spec for the Grendel?

Send them a link to the SAAMI page: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...%20Grendel.pdf

The max cartridge dimensions are shown in the upper drawing and the minimum chamber in the lower drawing.

They should not charge you a custom fee for a SAAMI spec cartridge.
            I do agree it is weird that they dont have the specs for a SAMMI cartridge. But the custom die price isnt anything to complain about. it is only $25 and the normal quick trim dies are also $25

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

Here you go

Buy at least 2 of the decapping rods. That little pin is easy to bend

Buy this full length sizing die and your problems are over

As for a trimmer. Look on ebay. RCBS like this is fine. I have one that is 40+ years old my brother in law is using.

Here is one. You can Probably find a better deal if you shop. You won't need one for a while

Last edited by Rickc; 10-26-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

I do agree it is weird that they dont have the specs for a SAMMI cartridge. But the custom die price isnt anything to complain about. it is only $25 and the normal quick trim dies are also $25
                Looks more like $10.98 for a standard cartridge: http://leeprecision.com/308_win_qt_die.html
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

Comment

• MDStroup
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2016

Looks more like $10.98 for a standard cartridge: http://leeprecision.com/308_win_qt_die.html
                  Well that sucks.I guess i was looking in the wrong section then.

Comment

• MDStroup
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
                    Here you go

Buy at least 2 of the decapping rods. That little pin is easy to bend

Buy this full length sizing die and your problems are over

As for a trimmer. Look on ebay. RCBS like this is fine. I have one that is 40+ years old my brother in law is using.

Here is one. You can Probably find a better deal if you shop. You won't need one for a while

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Rotary-Ca...897?nav=SEARCH
                    Thank you very much for the links.

If i get that sizing die, what bullet seating die should i get? The equivalent forster in 6.5 grendel?

Comment

• MDStroup
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2016

I feel dumb right now for not knowing this. If i want to have Lee make me the quick trim die, i give them the minimum dimensions to make the die right?

Comment

• Rickc
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

If i get that sizing die, what bullet seating die should i get? The equivalent forster in 6.5 grendel?
                        I think forster makes about the best dies out there that aren't custom

They make a standard benchrest seater and a micro adjust seater. I find that once I find my bullet and seating depth I rarely change it. I would just get the standard. I have them all.

The seater I am using the most now is the Wilson in line seater. Not threaded for a press. You either use a mallet or an Arbor press. Just something different. Makes straight ammo though. Use these with my portable range reloading setup.

Comment

• Rickc
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

One very important thing I left off.that list was.sizing lube. The grendel case is very easy to resize but.you still need lube. I use imperial sizing wax. Get a little on your finger tips and rub it on the case while you are putting it.in the shell holder. Only takes a little.

We can discuss reloading procedures in another thread. Simple series of steps.

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

I feel dumb right now for not knowing this. If i want to have Lee make me the quick trim die, i give them the minimum dimensions to make the die right?
                            No, I recommend you not give them dimensions but instead ask they use the SAAMI specified drawing for the maximum cartridge.

They may have made a business decision that the number of sales of that die does not justify the effort to set up for multiple sales. They have a right to make that decision just as you are under no obligation to pay for that judgement.

To repeat, they should not charge a custom fee to create a die for a standard cartridge.
                            shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• Rickc
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2016

No, I recommend you not give them dimensions but instead ask they use the SAAMI specified drawing for the maximum cartridge.

They may have made a business decision that the number of sales of that die does not justify the effort to set up for multiple sales. They have a right to make that decision just as you are under no obligation to pay for that judgement.

To repeat, they should not charge a custom fee to create a die for a standard cartridge.
                              I would buy a conventional case trimmer. That way you will be set up for other cases in the future

Remember what I said. You may never have to trim your grendel cases for the life of the brass

Comment

Working...
                              X