• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARdeerslayer
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

264 LBC load from Black Hills

Hey guys. Brand new to the room and the Grendel. I am kind of a brand whore and shoot factory Black Hills ammo in all my firearms (I built an Aero Precision/Anderson Arms 5.56 and my Glock 9mm's). My new Grendel is built from a matching Stag Arms upper and lower receiver with Stag LPK installed. The barrel is a 20" Odinworks 1:8 twist, with an Odinworks gas block, gas tube (rifle length), and complete Odinworks bolt carrier group. (Type II bolt). It also has the Odinworks 15.5" rail and a MAS Defense brake on it. this rifle's primary purpose is to kill deer, antelope and other four legged creatures.

Now that I have that out of the way, does anyone have any experience with Les Baer's ammo. I see its not a SAAMI spec caliber and that it appears to me that he and Bill Alexander got into a "pissing contest" and the .264 LBC was born. So, I want to shoot Black Hills ammo but they don't have a Grendel load and you can only find the LBC stuff on Lea Baer's site. I have no plans to reload or hand load just yet so factory ammo is the route I am going. Thanks for the input!!
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

It's fine to shoot in the grendel. The chambers are different, with the LBC having a .295" neck IIRC, and parallel freebore. Hope this helps

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• ARdeerslayer
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
      It's fine to shoot in the grendel. The chambers are different, with the LBC having a .295" neck IIRC, and parallel freebore. Hope this helps

Richard
      Have you shot the Black Hills stuff? Is it worth the effort of going thru Les Baer to get or should I just stick with the Hornady factory offerings?

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Almost all reports suggest that it is hard to go wrong with the Hornady 123gr SST or AMAX ammunition.

Many of us, however, would suggest getting a couple boxes of each that catch one's fancy and try them on at the range, and then in the field if any questions about bullet performance remain after a diligent search.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

The Black Hills load is fine for the 6.5 Grendel. It actually started out as a Black Hills labelled load with a 123 Sierra MatchKing and only started being boxed under Les Baer later. I've got a half box somewhere in the original packaging. Les Baer has both the 123 SMK and the 123 A-Max.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• ARdeerslayer
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            The Black Hills load is fine for the 6.5 Grendel. It actually started out as a Black Hills labelled load with a 123 Sierra MatchKing and only started being boxed under Les Baer later. I've got a half box somewhere in the original packaging. Les Baer has both the 123 SMK and the 123 A-Max.
            Thanks for the info!!! I was planning on buying 2 boxes of the LBC stuff and 2 boxes of the AMAX. Whichever shoots best at 300 is my choice. Until I start reloading that is!!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

The 123 Sierra load used to be very stout, but it was accurate. I haven't played with any in several years because he Hornady is so good and cheaper.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Yes, thanks, Bill, it WAS on the stout side.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                X