Clear All
  • bob4432
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Cross Pollination

• JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Check out the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, Vol 1 & 2. They will answer most of your questions.

Regarding accuracy, almost any powder and bullet combination will work fine if you are OK with 1 - 1.5 moa accuracy with 5-shot groups on calm days.

It is hard to go wrong with the 123 gr SST in front of CFE 223, TAC, or BL(C)-2 for most shooting.

Some folks shoot a lot better than I do, but will likely need a bit more info on the type of shooting you plan to do.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• bob4432
      Warrior
      • May 2016

Thanks for the info. Punching paper is what type of shooting I do. Would like to get into to the sub MOA 10 round club. I have time so that is on my side

Will look for the books, thanks
      Bob

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

The books are at www.ar15buildbox.com

Do you have the 223 already? If not, I would do the Grendel first. After getting in the Grendel, I find I don't enjoy shooting my 223 anymore. For me there is nothing 223 does better than my grendels.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

I've used TAC, H335, and BLC/2 in both. It was 115 here yesterday so probably won't be out shooting anytime soon.
          NRA Lifer

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

cfe223, ar-comp,8208 xbr are all good powders for both 223 and grendel

accuracy difference between single stage and progressive press won't be enough for you to notice as long as your using a powder that meters well, so it comes down to time and money you will use the same dies for both but a $7 dollar shell holder for the single stage and a $80 conversion for the 650

personally i am set up for both on most of my calibers load development or small batch loading happens on the single stage, bulk and or pet load happens on the dillon but if I'm not loading at least 100 rounds the same i typically don't bother with the dillon i use it for handgun and 223 mostly

as for calibers you don't need anything special i have a $400 set of mitytoyo calibers that i use when i am machining stuff and in my reloading room i have a analog plastic $1 set that measures to the tenth of a millimeter (inch side is in 1/128th itseasiet to measure in mil and convert to decimal)which is plenty good considering 99% of your reloading use for them is case length and over all length

you need a scale (i prefer analog), case trimmer, deburing tool, if you not getting prepped lc brass get the dillon supper wedge for the primer pockets, as far as dies go if dillon makes them in the caliber you want buy them, for the grendel redding or foster will work best

for hand gun the 650 is defiantly the animal for rifle i usually use my single stage unless I'm making 100 rounds or more the same
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bob4432
              Warrior
              • May 2016

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
              The books are at www.ar15buildbox.com

Do you have the 223 already? If not, I would do the Grendel first. After getting in the Grendel, I find I don't enjoy shooting my 223 anymore. For me there is nothing 223 does better than my grendels.
              Have had the 223s for 15yrs or so, just never got into reloading, have mags. Wanted to get into distance and have watched the Grendel over the years. Figured when I really was ready, I would go Grendel for distance - which for me will be 100, 200 and 600yds so I figure a 16" AA SS barrel/bolt will be an order I place and probably build it over the summer. I know I could have done this with the 223 but the 6.5mm bullet just seems to really be able go any distance, and if not in a Grendel, then the Creedmoor.

Comment

• bob4432
                Warrior
                • May 2016

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                cfe223, ar-comp,8208 xbr are all good powders for both 223 and grendel

accuracy difference between single stage and progressive press won't be enough for you to notice as long as your using a powder that meters well, so it comes down to time and money you will use the same dies for both but a $7 dollar shell holder for the single stage and a $80 conversion for the 650

personally i am set up for both on most of my calibers load development or small batch loading happens on the single stage, bulk and or pet load happens on the dillon but if I'm not loading at least 100 rounds the same i typically don't bother with the dillon i use it for handgun and 223 mostly

as for calibers you don't need anything special i have a $400 set of mitytoyo calibers that i use when i am machining stuff and in my reloading room i have a analog plastic $1 set that measures to the tenth of a millimeter (inch side is in 1/128th itseasiet to measure in mil and convert to decimal)which is plenty good considering 99% of your reloading use for them is case length and over all length

you need a scale (i prefer analog), case trimmer, deburing tool, if you not getting prepped lc brass get the dillon supper wedge for the primer pockets, as far as dies go if dillon makes them in the caliber you want buy them, for the grendel redding or foster will work best

for hand gun the 650 is defiantly the animal for rifle i usually use my single stage unless I'm making 100 rounds or more the same
                Appreciate the info, guess I don't need to worry about calipers and the info re: progressive vs single stage press. The LC brass will be coming from my own stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X