• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob4432
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Buying bulk but want good brass for reloading

Buying bulk for plinking but would like to get decent/good brass for future reloading.
    As title states, buying bulk but may as well set myself up to have quality brass to reload in the future. Since atm the bulk prices are decent, where should I spend my $ to have quality consistent brass for the future.

Platform will be an AR w/ MOA capabilities out to 600yds (possibly more based on all the reading about the 6.5mm round and barrel availability at my price point, this is a new round to me, punching paper or hitting steel, but more than likely the bulk of shooting will be 200yds do to convienence as I don't want to drive an hour+ each way which may start to happen depending on how well my setup performs - I have to take it to the longer range a few times and see what it will really do at distance.

As I been doing my research, my popular options look to be Lapua via Alexander Arms, Hornady, Wolf Gold, & Prvi (but I have read Wolf Gold is in PPU brass) but I also believe that the PPU brass is large rifle primer and unless I were to reload something else with a large rifle primer (which would probably be 6.5C to keep the the different sizes of bullets to a minimum).

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Alexander Arms is now sourcing their brass from Hornady, as I understand it.

I have both Hornady and the earlier AA headstamped Lapua brass. My Hornady brass has been loaded between 4 and 6 times, depending on the batch. I've only had one failure (a 5th firing split neck) and the 5+ loading batches have now required trimming. All batches are still GTG, and are still giving me excellent results.

The Lapua brass has only been loaded and fired once, essentially to fire form to my chambers. They all still sit on the shelf, waiting for the Hornady stuff to give up the ghost.

I'm told the Lapua can be loaded at least twice as many times as the Hornady, but at (depending on the current pricing) 1.5x the cost. The long game says Lapua is the way to go, if you aren't at risk of losing the cases in the field.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Ram _56
      Unwashed
      • May 2016

New to the 6.5 forum. I'll go over to the new members thread and post my info next, but couldn't help commenting on here 1st, hope it OK?
      Can't really comment on any brass but the Lupa. I bought 200 cases of Lupa brass, sized and trimmed it for 1st go around when developing loads for my newly built 6.5 Grendel AR.
      This weekend i finished off shooting my 8th loading of the 200 original pieces, 8 firings each, have not annealed them yet. Results: 2 split necks this weekend. Out of the 200 pieces i'd guess maybe 20-30 have had to be trimmed a little, I check them all after re-sizing. Did notice on the last reloading 4 or 5 of the primers were a little soft going in, but not enough to be worried about, I think (am new to this)? From what i have read on here I believe I am money ahead buying Lupa Brass.
      Will anneal all before reloading again and hope to get more out of them if it's not to late.

Comment

• bob4432
        Warrior
        • May 2016

Thanks for the responses, I havent searched hard but Brownells has the Lapua brand new @ $100 for 100 empty cases. The Hornady is loaded and ~$17-$22 for a box of 20. I was excited when I found the Wolf Gold but then read it used large rifle primers, so that put a bummer on things.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ram _56 View Post
          New to the 6.5 forum. I'll go over to the new members thread and post my info next, but couldn't help commenting on here 1st, hope it OK?
          Can't really comment on any brass but the Lupa. I bought 200 cases of Lupa brass, sized and trimmed it for 1st go around when developing loads for my newly built 6.5 Grendel AR.
          This weekend i finished off shooting my 8th loading of the 200 original pieces, 8 firings each, have not annealed them yet. Results: 2 split necks this weekend. Out of the 200 pieces i'd guess maybe 20-30 have had to be trimmed a little, I check them all after re-sizing. Did notice on the last reloading 4 or 5 of the primers were a little soft going in, but not enough to be worried about, I think (am new to this)? From what i have read on here I believe I am money ahead buying Lupa Brass.
          Will anneal all before reloading again and hope to get more out of them if it's not to late.
          R56:

Shouldn't be splitting cases with Lapua brass after only 8 firings.

What sizing die and lube are you using?

LR55

Comment

• Fredman
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Precision Firearms sells loaded ammo. $72-79 per 50 for most of it with Lapua brass. I don't think you can buy the components for that.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

bullet cost is the same on the creedmore, primer is the same price, brass is a little more expensive and will have a shorter life, 40% more powder per shot for 15% more velocity that you won't need at 600 yards

if your loading it really doesn't cost any more to load precision loads over what it cost to load plinking loads with the 6.5 its not like 223 where you can get 55gr plinkers for 0.06 and the 77gr match bullets are 0.25 most of what you will be loading in the 6.5 will be a match bullet which can be had at decent prices from time to time via shooters pro shop overruns and blems

that said if your buying all new components you won't save anything one just buying the ammo from PF at around $1.50 per round they are right at component prices your basically parity them a nickel a round to put them together for you maybe a quarter if you buying serious bulk and get a good deal but then again they do discount for bulk ammo purchases as well and it takes you time out of the price and remove the few round you will inevitably mess up during learning curve process
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bob4432
                Warrior
                • May 2016

You posted as I reset my thought process . I would have to start from scratch w/ the larger platform and in the long run end up paying more since I just have the small platform.

Thanks for taking the time to spell it out, your time did not go unwasted, but just out of curiosity what is a reasonable SS 20" 1:8 Creedmoor barrel?

Comment

• Nukes
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bob4432 View Post
                  Thanks for the responses, I havent searched hard but Brownells has the Lapua brand new @ $100 for 100 empty cases. The Hornady is loaded and ~$17-$22 for a box of 20. I was excited when I found the Wolf Gold but then read it used large rifle primers, so that put a bummer on things.
                  http://www.brunoshooters.com/product/7732.html

If you put yourself on their mailing list, you will know when it goes on sale.

Comment

• Ram _56
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    R56:

Shouldn't be splitting cases with Lapua brass after only 8 firings.

What sizing die and lube are you using?

LR55
                    Been using Redding full length sizing dies, using Hornady One Shot Lube. I just bought the Redding Type S bushing dies from Midway, plan on using this weekend when I reload next batch, still doing a little research to try and get it right. Any input would really be appreciated. TkS!

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Been using Redding full length sizing dies, using Hornady One Shot Lube. I just bought the Redding Type S bushing dies from Midway, plan on using this weekend when I reload next batch, still doing a little research to try and get it right. Any input would really be appreciated. TkS!
                      The Redding Bushing die may solve the problem. Cracked Lapua necks at 8 firings from a Grendel normally means overworking the brass during sizing. The neck part of the sizing die is too narrow or the expander ball is too big or both. However, you can crack necks if the neck part of the chamber is undersize. Not sure which but most of us go fifteen to twenty firings on Lapua brass before some pieces get worn out to the point where it isn't worth the risk to shoot them anymore.

One thing for sure is that you shouldn't have to anneal Lapua brass at all, let alone at 6 or 8 shots. Something isn't right. If I were in your shoes, I would also buy a good bushing sizing die before messing with anything else.

LR55

Comment

• Ram _56
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2016

LR, Good Info!! Good to know about the annealing, Tks!
                        I just bought the Redding Type S Match bushing 2-die set, It has the Type S Bushing Full Sizing Die and the Competition Seating Die. Think it was the right one? or is there something better? Haven't used yet, so could return if you feel there is another way to go. Really appreciate any help I can get Tks!!

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

LR, Good Info!! Good to know about the annealing, Tks!
                          I just bought the Redding Type S Match bushing 2-die set, It has the Type S Bushing Full Sizing Die and the Competition Seating Die. Think it was the right one? or is there something better? Haven't used yet, so could return if you feel there is another way to go. Really appreciate any help I can get Tks!!
                          You certainly bought the best you can get. I use the same dies. So do a bunch of others on the forum. I think it will solve your problem and you now have some different size bushings in case you use different brands of brass that may have different neck thickness.

LR55

Comment

• Ram _56
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            You certainly bought the best you can get. I use the same dies. So do a bunch of others on the forum. I think it will solve your problem and you now have some different size bushings in case you use different brands of brass that may have different neck thickness.

LR55
                            Thanks!!! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm shooting 3/4" groups pretty consistently at 100-200 yards, but of course with the flyer once in a while on the 5th shot, that is all me. I'm anal like a lot of people, want to tighten it up a little.
                            Shooting 123 gr Amax, 28.8 grs of H335, Lupa brass trimmed 1.510", cci- 450 Mag Primers, COL 2.2815" (longest I can get in AR Stoner Mag) down a Shilen Stainless AA 18" 1:9 twist barrel with a muzzle break. Again Thanks for the help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X