• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tj_farmer
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

my screw up need options

fixed the problem, thanks
    Last edited by tj_farmer; 03-07-2016, 01:41 AM.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Glad to be of assistance...
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Easiest assist of the year

Comment

• tj_farmer
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2015

sorry had a new bolt gun that I reloaded some brass to sammi spec and found out its got a tighter chamber in it, so brass was .0035 to .005 long, causing bolt to be from slightly firm to pretty firm on lockdown. local guy called with same caliber, swapped me out some brass/ammo rather then deal with it, was G2G in his gun. for future reference, is their a spec of what is too tight...was going to delete post, but couldn't find where I could

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

SAAMI specs are available for many calibers on line with chamber drawings and cartridge drawings with spec dimensions.

For centerfire rifle find and click on the below, a PDF file will download with cartridge and chamber information

•ANSI/SAAMI Z299.4 - Centerfire Rifle - 2015

SAAMI specifications are to a +/- amount that is also in that PDF file.
          Last edited by kmon; 03-07-2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• tj_farmer
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2015

by spec I meant, .005 or none, etc...on the lack of headspace... I don't think it was enough to crimp the neck of the brass much of any.... the bolt still closed, just was from "some resistance" to "pretty snug" it varied by shell alittle... I was more worried about ejecting the shell afterwards...the chamber was short to sammi standard's by -.0015 according to rcbs precision mic results of the min. my reloads were +.003-.005 of the minimum for caliber... set the f/l die up as manufacturer said, but missed it by that much I suppose

anyway, I made some more to the chamber not sammi and everything is cool, ill get my old brass back after we shoot in the next week or so..
            thanks

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

BluntForceTrauma created a nice sticky to make the SAAMI and CIP chamber specs easily available: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...endel-Drawings

1) Have you tried factory ammunition in your chamber?
              a) If that works, look to your dies -- and make sure the shell holder is from the same manufacturer as your FL die

b) If the factory ammo gives the same symptoms, then start looking at your chamber.

2) Do you or your gunsmith have a go, no-go gage? That will definitively tell you if the chamber body is within spec.

3) How do you know if your brass conforms to the SAAMI spec?

4) You mentioned crimping. Does this mean that the case mouth is where the contact happens? If so, look at your brass length and compare to the specs.

5) Have you looked at live rounds you have chambered and extracted? Marks on the ogive near where the diameter gets to the full 0.264" will tell you that you need to seed the bullet slightly more deeply.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

...SAAMI specifications are to a +/- amount that is also in that PDF file.
                Lest there be any confusion, the nominal dimensions for the CARTRIDGE are the MAX and the tolorence indicates how much smaller dimension may be and still satisfy the specifiaction. (I. e., - / 0)

The nominal dimensions for the CHAMBER are the MIN and the tolerances specufy how much larger the chamber may be and still be in spec. (I. e., 0 / +)

The purpose to make sure there is neither interference nor too much slop.

A few reamer makers specify + / - confusing us and showing that they haven't quite captured the spirit of the SAAMI guidelines.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

What caliber/cartridge are we talking about in your bolt gun?
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tj_farmer
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

thanks
                    Last edited by tj_farmer; 03-08-2016, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• tj_farmer
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2015

thanks for the info
                      Last edited by tj_farmer; 03-08-2016, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X