• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21Glock
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

6.5 Grendel load data for max loads

Hi guys,
    New to this forum. The load data I've looked at only goes to around 2300+ fps for the 123-125gr. bullets.
    Is there any way that they be safely loaded up to around 2600-2700 fps.?
    I understand from what I've read that the 6.5 Grendel can beat the .308 ballistically down range, so it must do it with bullet diameter and design and not by velocity.

Thanks!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

We published 2 reloading handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel. 2300fps for 123-125gr is 12.5"-14.5" Grendel speed. Maybe you were looking in Hornady's 8th Edition.

My mild load of CFE223 under 123gr AMAX or SST is 2500fps from 16" and 18" barrels.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

How long is your barrel? There is plenty of data here do a search or check out the sticky at top of page.

Comment

• 21Glock
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2016

I don't have an upper yet. Probably will get a AA 20" barrel on the upper when I get it.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 21Glock View Post
          I don't have an upper yet. Probably will get a AA 20" barrel on the upper when I get it.
          You can go shorter and not lose anything important: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt....6-quot-Barrel

Even the 16-barrel gets most bullets out to useful hunting distances.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• 21Glock
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2016

If this is your mild load of 2500pfs with the 123 gr. AMAX, what would be the max load velocity wise?

Comment

• McFireFighter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Depends on the powder your barrel likes. People are getting 2600 fps with Leverevolution. 2550 seems reasonable.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 21Glock View Post
                Hi guys,
                New to this forum. The load data I've looked at only goes to around 2300+ fps for the 123-125gr. bullets.
                Is there any way that they be safely loaded up to around 2600-2700 fps.?
                I understand from what I've read that the 6.5 Grendel can beat the .308 ballistically down range, so it must do it with bullet diameter and design and not by velocity.

Thanks!
                21G:

The answer is no. 2600 is a very good goal but it seems to depend on getting a barrel that will give that velocity. Some get it and others don't. No real way of knowing before you shoot it over a chronograph. And I am sure some of the chronographs guys are using aren't very precise.

Many 6.5 bullets have ballistic coefficients that are greater than similar .308 bullets so there is the potential that they are equivalent despite 100 - 150 fps slower speeds at most realistic distances.

Although some may view .308 max loads to be something they can easily go over by a grain or two without worry, you better worry if you decide to go over a grain or two with a Grendel. You will shear bolt lugs, destroy brass, and eventually destroy your AR-15.

So, as has been said on the forum many times before, if you want .260 velocities, go with a .260. Although your velocity desires are a bit mild for a .260, they will probably result in some very dangerous problems given a AR-15 and a Grendel.

Comment

• McFireFighter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

Well said LR1955. I look at my Grendel this way. I work my load up till I hit safe accuracy. If it comes before max loads (which it usually does), I'm happy. I only had one rifle that got more accurate the harder I pushed it. A 6-284. It lasted less than 1000 rounds. I'll push bolt guns a little harder.
                  Last edited by McFireFighter; 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Cornbread
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

I'm getting upper 2400's,close to 2500 with a safe load of xbr and amax. With a 20" you can probably get mid 2500's. If you want 2600 you would need a 22-24" barrel. To me that defeats the purpose of the grendel. If I want a 10 pound gun I'll get a 260.

Comment

• Jmccracken
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                      I'm getting upper 2400's,close to 2500 with a safe load of xbr and amax. With a 20" you can probably get mid 2500's. If you want 2600 you would need a 22-24" barrel. To me that defeats the purpose of the grendel. If I want a 10 pound gun I'll get a 260.
                      Very old post, I know but my howa 20” shoots hornady custom at 2612

Comment

Working...
                      X