• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McFireFighter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

123 SMK/ CFE223 Pet Loads

I have a buddy that does 3 gun competitions. He doesn't have the time to develop an accurate load. I am using the same barrel and going to work up a load that he can fine tune for his rifle. He has had great success with the 120's but not the 123's. Any help would sincerely be appreciated. In the mean time I plan on using the search function to see if I can find any data.

Thanks again..
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

I thought I'd go right to some, but, you're right, seems there aren't many using the SMK.

If it was me I'd extrapolate from 123 A-Max and SST data and assume a max of 32.0 CFE, and work up to it with standard caution.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• McFireFighter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Yeah. Surprisingly not a lot so far. That's what I'll end up doing. Pick a OAL via the comparator tool my barrel likes and increase the charge in steps looking for pressure. Then fine tune the OAL at that charge. Has worked well for me in the past.

Comment

• McFireFighter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Man it is scarce. I need to order the loading manuals.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by McFireFighter View Post
          Man it is scarce. I need to order the loading manuals.
          Order them up and they go out in the morning Priority Mail.

With the 123gr SMK, I think it might max out sooner than a 123gr AMAX, since it is a longer bullet.

It's more like a 129gr SST.

I think people have been looking at Sierra's advertised BC's, and not Litz's BC's with the 123gr SMK.

It has a G1 of .522 according to Litz / .260 G7, which is a lot higher than the .468 of the 123gr AMAX.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X