• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holyfather12
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die

Was looking into this die for reloading. I heard it reduces pushback when loading in semi autos. For those in the horde that use this die are you having to buy bushings for it? If so what bushings are you using? Would the standard Redding Full Length Sizer die be sufficient? TIA
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

There are 2 advantages to bushing dies. 1 It lets you pick a bushing to control how much neck tension you want. 2 Most people use them without the expander ball,or have them set so the expander is not doing much sizing so you are not pulling the case necks and inducing concentricity issues. You would need to measure a loaded round and subtract however much for the neck tension you want.

However, to get the most of this process you really need to turn case necks otherwise you will have worse runout because of uneven case neck thickness causing uneven neck tension. My take, if you are a competitive shooter or want to shoot 1000 yds there is a lot of benefit. For the average hunter there is not.

Comment

• Holyfather12
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2016

Thanks for the advise. Been a busy week so I haven't been able to respond. I they come measured the Hornady factory loads I have and they some out to .288. Figure I will get a .287 bushing for those as I plan to use the Hornady brass to break in my barrell. I plan to switch to Lapua brass later and have heard a .288 bushing is what I need for that since it it a little thicker. Anyone using Hornady or Lapua please feel free to chime in.

Comment

Working...
      X