• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

crappy PPU brass

so i have a bagful of PPU once fired brass i finally got around to thinking about reusing and even with it being once fired from factory loading the primers really go in easy. how easy is too easy? they dont fall out or anything like that but sure dont feel right. has anyone found that any type of usable large rifle primers fit tighter than others? i am using winchester large rifle standard but i can get something else if it might help. i figure these will be reused this one time and i wont pick them back up.
  • 6.5 Grendel
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Hmmm my PPU brass has been ok so far. I am using CCI 250 Magnum primers with Leverevelotion powder. On my third reloading and primers seem to fit ok not as tight as the first but, it takes some pressure to seat.
    "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

well, i will just load them up and i will take it that as long as they dont fall out they must be OK to shoot? so you use CCI 250 magnum primers? maybe i will try some CCI primers and see if they are tighter.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
        well, i will just load them up and i will take it that as long as they dont fall out they must be OK to shoot? so you use CCI 250 magnum primers? maybe i will try some CCI primers and see if they are tighter.
        I had the exact same experience you are having. when I used Winchester large rifle primers they were very loose which they should not be. I then switched to CCI large rifle magnum primers and they fit much tighter. it is a problem with the PPU brass.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

I just loaded some more brass this time with Magtec large rifle primers they seem to not fit as tight as the CCIs but, felt okay. We'll see this weekend if I experience any problems.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

PPU brass is NOT crap.

Gents,

I Privi brass that is on its 7th reloading, yes to give credit where credit is due the primers doe loosen after the 1st loading. After that they have stayed constant. A2

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Depends on which PPU brass. Much of the Wolf brass was very soft, and only good for 1 or 2 reloads of reasonable power. The newer brass does seem to be better by contrast.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

I see that Midway is offering NEW PPU/Prvi brass. Is anyone trying this?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Graf & Son have PPU brass on sale cheaper than midway, decent shipping prices. A local shop has Sellier & Bellot large rifle primers during the shortage. They fit good in my PPU brass so I bought another 1000. Loads seem very consistent.

I just checked PPU brass sale ended back to .63 each.
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-25-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Geardo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

CCI primers always fit tighter, I havent measured them but they must be larger diameter than Federal or Win

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Graf & Son is where I got mine.

Comment

• wrbabb
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2015

I have PPU brass which has worked well with CCI large rifle primers. Same with some 7.62x39 brass I reformed to 6.5 Grendel. I believe the nominal spec is for small rifle primers. Some of my bench rest friends believe small rifle primers produce better groups. Once I shoot through this lot brass I will get some Hornady brass (small primers). Hornady brass Got better reviews than Lapua of all things.

Good luck
                        Walt

Comment

• lawndartmike
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

Good to see some people are having good results. Are those people that are shooting out of bolt guns? My AR platform beats the hell out of the brass.

Third reload on 50 new PPU brass. Shot the first 20 round mag and had primers popping (4) and necks (2) split. I pulled the bullets on the rest and threw the brass in the trash. I'm getting six reloads from the Hornady brass with no issues. I didn't save any money in the end.

Oh, using Winchester primers.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lawndartmike View Post
                            Good to see some people are having good results. Are those people that are shooting out of bolt guns? My AR platform beats the hell out of the brass.

Third reload on 50 new PPU brass. Shot the first 20 round mag and had primers popping (4) and necks (2) split. I pulled the bullets on the rest and threw the brass in the trash. I'm getting six reloads from the Hornady brass with no issues. I didn't save any money in the end.

There was batch of PPU packaged 120 grain HP BT ammo that was reported to be to hot. I'd have to dig around to find the lot number. The PPU brass I've gotten from Wolf 120 grain MPT has held up to several loadings but the brass from the Wolf soft point ammo was not good quality and the primer pockets loosened quickly. Fortunately most of my Wolf Gold and PPU ammo I bought at very good prices so I won't be hit to hard if the brass does not last. I don't hot rod my reloads so I don't seem to be to hard on my brass.

If your rifle is over gassed I could see where that could reduce the life of the brass. A friend has a 18" 6.5 Grendel barrel from Brownell's. His barrel was over gassed and he ended up breaking an extractor. I talked him into getting an adjustable gas block which has really improved his 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• 1911man
                              Warrior
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by lawndartmike View Post

My mindset with the PPU brass is that I will keep buying Hornady brass new, but when I see a good deal on PPU 120 grain loaded ammo I always buy as much as I can at that time and I use the brass from it to reload with. That load shoots pretty well out of my rifle for plinking and its nice to have brass to play with after. I have had mixed results with that brass since buying ammo earlier last year. All of the brass has loose primer pockets after one firing, but most of it has held up to a few loadings. I just think the results are too mixed for me to go buy a bag of new PPU brass. Another thing I noticed is my loads are different in the PPU brass vs hornady. The same loads in PPU brass are much hotter than my hornady loads. For example a load of 28.3 grains of XBR and a 120 SMK shot an average velocity of around 2450 fps in hornday brass with no pressure signs. The same load shot an average of 2503 fps in the PPU brass and I was getting slightly flat primers and ejector marks. I shot 2 10 shot strings of each that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X