• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tj_farmer
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

Nosler brass, whats everyones take on it

is Nosler brass as good or better then recent bought lapua brass. better than hornady? read a few complaints on recent bought lapua brass, as far as quality control, so weighing in my options before pulling the trigger on some cases. thanks
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Nosler brass is great brass, but spendy because they sort and prep it for you. I don't think anyone has enough reloads to say if it will be superior to Lapua brass in the long run.

Comment

• audredger
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2016

I have seen it said elsewhere that Nosler brass is made by Norma. Weight sorted and prep by Nosler. My Nosler brass in Creedmoor is far superior to the Hornady brass. The Hornady brass is generaly soft and varies from lot to lot. In 308 and 223 my Lapua brass is better than the Norma.

So IMHO Lapua is best, Nosler and Norma a close second and Hornady is way down the list with Fiocchi, IMI, Federal, Remington and, Winchester ranking above it

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

The IMI brass I've used, (albeit in small quantities) has been very similar to Lapua. There was a rumor that it was actually made by Lapua, although Lapua denied the rumor. I had IMI .223 brass, and apart from the head stamp, it was indistinguishable from Lapua .223 brass to the naked eye. I didn't have a way to section it, but it held exactly the same amount of water by weight.

Overall, I would agree with you, though.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Just picked up some Nosler Blemish brass with some Nosler LR Accubonds, going to start working with it next week. The Nosler brass I have used in the past has been very good in the 7mm-08. Have never had a confirmation on who makes Nosler brass but there are lots of similarities between it and Norma and when one comes out with a new caliber offering so does the other often times.

Comment

• Rust
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            The IMI brass I've used, (albeit in small quantities) has been very similar to Lapua. There was a rumor that it was actually made by Lapua, although Lapua denied the rumor. I had IMI .223 brass, and apart from the head stamp, it was indistinguishable from Lapua .223 brass to the naked eye. I didn't have a way to section it, but it held exactly the same amount of water by weight...
            I've heard that it is Lapua tooling, but that it is not "made by" Lapua. They purchased machines or have lease agreement for batch runs. So unless they are running those same machines with different processes it is more or less the same brass. I would expect that IMI has looser QC standards for their finished product than Lapua does. They need the volume, so there's no reason they wouldn't accept cases that have a few thousandths more run out, or neck thickness, etc. than Lapua would.
            I have also heard that KP brass is made by Lapua. I used to buy KP 7.62x39 to fire form to 6.5G back when brass and loaded ammo was still hard to come by. Like you said about the IMI .223, it is virtually identical from a visual standpoint to Lapua brass.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rust View Post
              I've heard that it is Lapua tooling, but that it is not "made by" Lapua. They purchased machines or have lease agreement for batch runs. So unless they are running those same machines with different processes it is more or less the same brass. I would expect that IMI has looser QC standards for their finished product than Lapua does. They need the volume, so there's no reason they wouldn't accept cases that have a few thousandths more run out, or neck thickness, etc. than Lapua would.
              I have also heard that KP brass is made by Lapua. I used to buy KP 7.62x39 to fire form to 6.5G back when brass and loaded ammo was still hard to come by. Like you said about the IMI .223, it is virtually identical from a visual standpoint to Lapua brass.
              My Israeli built stuff gives no ground in tolerances to any other manufacturer, but they do plan on running their stuff in full auto mode, where Lapua recognizes that most of their brass is for target shooting. They might have slightly looser tolerances for that reason, if no other. However, Lapua brass runs to the very small end of the spectrum, I assume for the same reason.

Comment

• tj_farmer
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2015

is current lapua still good stuff, on midways website there was some bad reviews about some quality control issues maybe? just don't want to spend the big bucks for the extra quality, if it isn't extra quality. its hell when you buy brass for .85-.95 and loaded hornady for $1.00....but if itll live half again longer, its worth it.

Comment

Working...
                X