• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrairieWindDynamics
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2015

VV-N540 W/Berger hybrid

Looking for a little insight with anyone using VV-N540, primarily with heavier projectiles.

Late last summer I decided to try the berger 130 hybrid, as a replacement for my 123 scenar load. I had VV-N135 on hand, and was the most appropriate powder I had for the heavier 130's. VV provides no data for 130's, only 123, and 136's. So I split the difference, and started at 25.5 grains, then proceeded to work up. I got a good node at 26.6, and with my BHW 1/9 18", they grouped a little under .5 moa @2390fps. I wanted to go a little more, but ran out of time before some competitions, so it would have to do. The load performed really well in several competitions out past 1k.

I now am shooting a Bartlein 1/8 20". Going off my previous data, I started at 26.2, ending at 27 grains. In development I had a node at 26.8 with this barrel, I loaded at 26.7, 26.8, 26.9 the 26.9 load is doing the best leaving .30-.40 groups, depending on brass. I am having no pressure signs on neither Lapua, or Hornady brass. But! VV says max load with N135 and 123's is 27 grains. So I'm pretty sure I'm over pressure, even though I'm not getting signs. The load is compressed, it was compressed at 26.6, and even more so with 26.9. I'm okay with compressed loads, and actually prefer compressed, but I feel like it's right on the edge.

So, my question is would VV-N540 be a better powder? All the data I see points me towards yes, but I would like some input from anyone who has used it, and what you are getting out of it. I don't want to develop another load if it's not going to meet my expectations. I don't know what MV the N135 is giving me, as I'm waiting for a calmer day to go true the MV on the kestrel. I'm hoping if I try N540 it would get me up to 2450fps, still be as accurate, but be slightly less compressed.

Thanks for the help, any and all is appreciated.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Vihtavuori shows data for the 139gr Scenar with N540, giving the best velocity as well. I've used N540 with the 260 Remington, but have no plans to use it in that cartridge anymore.

It's one of the powders on my long list of things to do.

What were your velocities with each charge weight, and did you see an excursion?

If you have the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, you'll see that Alexander Arms has data for the 130gr Swift Scirocco under N540 going up to 28.0gr and getting 2410fps. They aren't the same bullet of course, and the Scirocco has longer bearing surface due to the shorter boat tail (resulting in a much lower actual BC than advertised).

You can vibra-settle the N540 as well to get more case fill, but I would like to see some pressure trace numbers on it before getting too crazy.

I've gotten over 2400fps with the 129gr Nosler ABLR from an 18" using CFE223.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Welcome aborard man! I picked some N540 up a little while back and have loaded some 130 hybrids and 140 hpbts. I just haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. It looks like it'll be after deer season when I do. I'll certainly post my results here when I do.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• gastonglock21s
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2013

I picked up some N540 a while back for .223 from the suggestion of a Sierra tech. He said there was quite a bit of variance in velocity when loaded to the same pressure from one lot to the other using the same components and load in the same barrel. When it was a good lot it gave excellent velocity versus other powders in the same class and when it wasn't a good lot it didn't have any advantage over other powders in the same class. Hopefully they got the consistency figured out and it will work great in the heavies for the Grendel.
        Last edited by gastonglock21s; 01-21-2016, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Rainman
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

I finally found two pounds of N 540 this weekend so plan to load up some 129 grain SSTs and 130 Berger Hybrids to try in my new AA 16" Lightweight upper with 1:7.5 twist. My last go round with N 540, about 2 1/2 years ago, proved it to be the most accurate powder with 69 grain Matchkings in two piston 5.56 ARs and most accurate powder with the Hornady 123s in my 1:9" 18" BHW .264 LBC barrel. I didn't have enough powder left for chronographing. Hope to accomplish the Grendel load work ups within the next three weeks or so. I also picked up two boxes of the new Hornady EXP-R bullets with the upgraded polymer tips, 178 grain .30s for my Sig 716 and Savage Model 10 and 140 grain 6.5s for my 6.5 Creedmore Ruger Precision Rifle both of which will be late February projects. The X designation is the hunting bullet and I have not seen anyone advertising the target versions for sale yet. These seem to be getting lots of attention so I hope to soon see if all the hype is justified.

Comment

Working...
          X