• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tj_farmer
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

hornady brass reload numbers

how many reloads on ave are you guys pushing before you start thinking about buying new ammo or brass with the 6.5g? I know theres a lot of factors, but without pushing pressures over the top, just trying to get an idea of how much I need
    thanks
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

I started with Hdy factory ammo and have a couple boxes with 11 or 12 loads with the primer pockets still good. Ymmv.

Comment

• tj_farmer
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

thanks that gives me idea, much appreciated

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

I got similar results with both Hornady and AA (Lapua) brass.

Watch for imminent case head separations as one goes past 5-10 reloads. For me, however, that started when the reload count was well above ten.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• tj_farmer
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

thanks, I bought 11 boxes of 123gr amax awhile back on sale. did I hear right AA brass isn't Lapua anymore? its hornady? also is Lapua worth the premium, what are the pluses to it over hornady? thanks guys....I found lupua brass for .86 plus shipping what is a good price if its worth the premium. do they need loaded different then hornady?

Comment

• Squatchy
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

Are you guys FL sizing every time getting those numbers or just bumping the shoulder enough for reliable cycle? Also, is anybody annealing or do you usually get loosened primer pockets/case head separation before the necks would start to split?

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

I don't know how you guys get that many reloads.

I get 6-7 firings on AA and Lapua brass, and the primer pockets are so loose, I am afraid to use the brass.

Maybe my loads are hotter? I'm using CCI primers only.
              NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

I got 9 reloads from my hornady brass when a case head separation caused me to cull them all. Primer pockets are still tight.
                http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• 204 AR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

I adjust my resize die so that cases will just chamber and extract easily, but no more. Takes a bit of trial and error while adjusting the die down, but well worth it in brass life. I do suspect my loads are somewhat mild in my barrel (BHW), though they are at or near book max according to Hodgdon. I was surprised at the brass life with Hdy and even posted on here about it wondering if it was normal.

Comment

• Kendoist4162
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2015

I've used PPU brass wit the large primers and they were dead after about three reloads. Tossed them all as the primer pockets were way too loose. Switched to Hornady and have only been working up load ladders so far through 8 bullet types. At around the 6th reload some of the pockets started feeling looser when priming so I use those for the lower powder charges. I FL size each time and haven't seen any signs of case head separation. I'll toss the test batch once I finish one more bullet type and velocity test. I've found what works best for me at this point and stocked up on brass.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                      I don't know how you guys get that many reloads.

I get 6-7 firings on AA and Lapua brass, and the primer pockets are so loose, I am afraid to use the brass.

Maybe my loads are hotter? I'm using CCI primers only.
                      Low chamber pressure. Ask LR1955 about brass life.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

I have Lapua brass with more than 20 reloads that is from when I bought my first Grendel 10 years ago. (I currently own 3,4,5). I stick to known safe loads with that brass. Any brass I experiment with is separate. I expect 7-10 loads from Hornady brass. I have a few more on some of my Hornady brass, but I've had it for much less time than my Lapua. After about 10 reloads on the Lapua, I lose 1-2 pieces per hundred with split necks. I've never tossed a piece of Lapua because of loose primer pockets. For the first 3-4 years I reloaded with Lee dies, and I suspect that they were the cause of most of my split necks.

Comment

Working...
                        X