• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Hollow points

Dear horde, I have never hunted with hollow points but I have a bro that is trying to convince me they are good rounds for deer and hogs. What is the hordes thoughts on this question.

Thanks for all the advice and info.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Depends on the type of hollow point.

The Barnes TSX are great for this.
    The Sierra 130gr Game King Hollow Point is a great hunting bullet.
    GS Customs HV are great for hunting.
    PPU 120gr MPT works really well.

If I had to pick just one hollow point for hunting with 6.5 Grendel, it would be the Barnes 120gr TSX Boat Tail.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Thanks for that info, been also looking at the loaded ammo PF sells. They have 100 and 120 tac-tx and ttsx rounds. Are these rounds hollow points as well? And if so how would you rate them compared to the tsx rounds?

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Thanks for that info, been also looking at the loaded ammo PF sells. They have 100 and 120 tac-tx and ttsx rounds. Are these rounds hollow points as well? And if so how would you rate them compared to the tsx rounds?
        The ttsx is the tsx with a polymer tip.

I've never been able to find a defined distinction between the tsx/ttsx and the tac-tx line. If someone knows the difference I'm all ears.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          TTSX and TAC-TX are polymer-tipped and filled hollow points, basically a TSX with a polymer tip.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

The TTSX has a slightly higher BC. Some folks also report that the TTSX opens at somewhat lower velocities. Both translates to longer reach for medium game.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Thanks for the info fellas looks like I will be texting some of the tsx and ttsx rounds when I get back from work.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Yes, it's the cavity - interior designs- each are just a tic different. They open up at diff speeds, and what they encounter in their pathway, soft, hard, etc. Someone on here has Gel Tests results,,, Hello ROS?

I'm pushing to get a 105- 110-115 wt., in each of the Barnes units.. Speeds do matter with the lead free bullets- when the impact happens, no lead is lost, it retains almost all of its copper wt.
                It's amazing of the outcome....wow!

It's been a huge cavity wound from My experience for 6 yrs. using the monometal pills, I won't ever go back to lead based pills for meats that I want to eat

But , in chatting with JASmith for a while-- we both agree that most shots taken at game are under 300yds. Be realistic in laser ranging your game...

No laser rangefinder???????? Go to the range- practice more, then some more. Ask questions- learn distances. Check with LRRFP52- he can book a class for you-, Long range shooting 101.

All the options are out there to - upgrade a tic . It's Friday nite , I'm busy guy!

BFT & I are still burping out the Italian food we ate last nite in MPlS.- UUUrp Johnny, I think the pepprocini did us in !
                Last edited by sneaky one; 01-09-2016, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X