• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolf13
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

Primers

Has any body used Winchester small rifle primers in the Grendel I am just getting started loading for it and have a lot of these primers from loading my 223 and 204 and was hoping they will work.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

They will work.

Fair to say that all small rifle primers will work but the harder cups lessen the chance of slam fires. Everyone has their preference but if you have beaucoup WSR spare then knock yourself out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook series has the recommended primers for AR15/6.5 Grendel on page 67.

CCI 450
      CCI BR4
      CCI 41
      Wolf SRM
      Rem 7 1/2 Bench Rest
      Federal 205/205M

The Winchester SRP's have a thin cup, so they are generally avoided in self-loading firearms with a floating firing pin. Same reason why we avoid the Federal 200 and Remington 6 1/2.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wolf13
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2015

That's what I was looking for thanks

Comment

• Old Soldat
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

I've used CCI#400 primers for years in all 3 of my AR15s and have not had any problem with them-over 4,000 rounds fired to date. I also plan on using them and IMR8208 for my Grendel reloads.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Hi Power competitors have seen quiet a few slam fires with the softer primer loads, mainly with the muzzle down, hot weather, with bolt dropped on a chambered cartridge.

I think the CCI400's are fine in colder weather, but I personally don't want to set up primer selection based on weather. I have a case of them that I bought during the panic because you couldn't get anything else.

Just beware that there are known instances where the thinner cup primers have been the culprit for slam-fires in certain conditions, with certain loading procedures.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X