• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

loading and reloading the grendel

Would someone mind giving me a list of all tools needed to load rounds for my 6.5.

Not materials just the tools used in the process to load, I have never loaded my own ammo and I would one day like to start doing this but am at a lose for what tools are needed.

• dieselmudder
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2015

Lee, RCBS, and Hornady all make great starter sets for reloading. Generally come with a press, beam scale, powder measure, priming, and some case prep tools. Add to that a set of dies, trim length gauge for you specific cartridge, calipers, and some form of case cleaning equipment (vibratory,rotary, or ultrasonic cleaner).

I started a year ago with a Lee anniversary single stage kit, and loaded several hundred rounds with it, for various calibers from 9mm up to .308. I then started making upgrades, mostly to improve production speed. I feel that you can easily load "practical accurate" loads with a started kit. Albeit slow, it does give you the opportunity lo learn the skill, with less possibility of mistakes.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Those are 2 reads I recommend a lot, when loading for the Grendel also get the Grendel handloading books.

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

I started a new to reloaders thread over on the TexasHuntingForum a few years ago that has some pretty good information here is a link to it

Mods if this is not appropriate please delete.

Some information for those new to reloading or thinking about getting into reloading. While not complete it is a good start on our ideas of what is needed and some of our thoughts. this list id for Metallic cartridge reloading (Rifle/Pistol) Respectfully RiverRider, KC, Jeh7mmmag, and kmon...
      Last edited by kmon; 11-30-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The most important thing when starting to reload is to have a competent mentor.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Any reloading manual will walk you through the equipment requirements and process. As mentioned, a mentor is very helpful and will shorten the learning curve and pass along helpful tips. The Grendel reloading manuals have a great deal of cartridge specific information that you won't get in a standard reloading manual. My favorite manual is Hornady because I use their bullets the most but RCBS, Nosler, and Sierra are excellent as well. Reloading is simple but requires a level of attention to detail that is not normally needed for most activities. As long as you double check all measurements and follow established safety protocols everything is fun and easy.

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

Keep in mind personal opinion here, I to like the Hornady reloading manual as well, RCBS O style press would serve you well for low volume. I have worked with Redding,
            Lee & Hornady dies have all pleased me. Lots of powder throwers out there a used Lynman 55 off eBay or crags list is where I would steer you here. Nothing wrong with a simple beam scale. Good chance you could come up w a good package deal off crags list or e-bay.
            Be careful as I may not spend your money as carefully as you. Start off with a current load manual and consider a second load manual and don't be surprised to much when you find a little contradiction.

Only reload when you are not being distracted and start low and work up may be some good advice to keep in mind.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

One of the biggest safety considerations is working with primers. Always wear eye pro when handling primers. You need to be very attentive when handling or seating primers.

The next biggest safety consideration is squib loads, which are produced when people get distracted or don't check their load tray before seating bullets.

A good thing to have is a process checklist posted on the wall of your reloading area.

Example:

Brass prep
              Measure fired case length and record
              Clean and polished
              De-capped/ full length re-sized
              Chamfered/deburred
              Primed with correct depth for gas gun

Charging
              Correct powder selected. Only that can of powder on the bench top, others put away.
              Charge weight cross-referenced, written down near powder measure
              Record charge weight in data book/Reloading handbook (6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks have pages of shooter's notes for you to do this.)
              Scale calibrated
              Dispense powder to correct charge weight and verify
              Move funnel to next case
              Once tray slots are full of charged cases, inspect from above that ALL cases are charged

Bullet Seating
              Dummy cartridge used for seating depth set-up on seating die on the press, verify COL (ensure dummy cartridge fits in mags and chambers and extracts without engaging the lands)
              Bullets placed within easy reach of press operation
              Cartridge tray placed near press, double-check all cases are charged
              Correct shell holder installed
              Seat bullets to desired COL and measure each case, or batch measure

Place load data on cartridge box.
              Place cartridge box in range bag.
              Place mags in range bag.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lightning8
                Warrior
                • Jun 2015

How important is case trimming with a 6.5 Grendel, and if so, what are the recommended case trimming tools? Thanks

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Thanks for all the advie gentelman keep coming with it need things to think about while I wait on my rifle and parts and ammo to arrive.

On a side note I made two orders from arhuntingrifles one for ammo very good prices and one for a prs stock and moe plus handgrip and they came in jjust over two hundred the stock was 187 I thought that was a good price.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                    How important is case trimming with a 6.5 Grendel, and if so, what are the recommended case trimming tools? Thanks
                    You will see a range of trim-to and Max case lengths for the Grendel, depending on the source. Bill Alexander recommends a 1.520" Minimum and a 1.526" max. However, after 5 firings, I don't have a single piece of brass (all Hornady) over 1.515". Berger Lists 1.5038/1.5138; Hornady 1.506/1.516; Nosler doesn't mention case length. I'd say the more important thing for better accuracy is UNIFORMITY so that the neck tension due to overall contact surface area is closer to being the same from round to round. My preferred trimming tool is Forster with their 3:1 (trim, chamfer and deburr all in one step) trim head. http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...utter-carbide/
                    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Very important for safety.
                      The necks will creep forward with each firing and could come to the end of the area in the chamber machined for the neck. Then it starts to get constricted and grabs the bullet. Anything that prevents the bullet from being released builds pressure.

Very important for accuracy.
                      +1 Savage's post.

Comment

• SDguy
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        Very important for safety.
                        The necks will creep forward with each firing and could come to the end of the area in the chamber machined for the neck. Then it starts to get constricted and grabs the bullet. Anything that prevents the bullet from being released builds pressure.

Very important for accuracy.
                        +1 Savage's post.
                        Well stated

Annealing necks and shoulders is another area to study up on. I dare say this is likly one of the simplest yet over looked means to improve your brass consistency in terms of neck tension. See link below for neck anealing technique and much more if you look around. Enjoy

reloading, loading, handload, handloading, reload, powder, primer, brass, forming, information, case, preperation, accuracy, precision, mini lathe, lathe, wildcat, moly, coated, bullets, target, targets, download, anneal, caliber, rifle,

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

After resizing Hornady factory ammo brass, I typically see case lengths near or above the max of 1.526". I use a Lee case trimmer that cuts it back to 1.515" and then it's really slow growth from there.

Comment

• lawndartmike
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

I use this trimmer. A little spendy but it is super quick and easy.

Comment

Working...
                            X