Potential group buy for Hornady 123 SST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be interested in bullets only. Up to 500, depending on price.

Sean

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Not sure what everyone's price ceiling is for the potential new 123gr SST, but consider this...

MidwayUSA sells 6.5 129gr SST's for ~28.5 cents each. Their 6.5 140gr SST's are ~29 cents each. And no doubt that Midway makes a profit selling 'em.

If the bullets come direct from Hornday, and even considering their potential desire to recoup some R&D and setup costs for a new offering, I can't imagine the 123 SST's being over 30 cents each.

As for loaded ammo, Midways sells 6.5 Creedmoor Superformance 129 SST's for ~$28.50 per box of 20. My guess is that this potential Grendel 123gr SST load might be priced lower.

Wouldn't surprise me to see $0.25 (or less) bullets and $25 (or less) per box ammo if / when this group buy happens, but that's just pure speculation on my part.
      Drifter

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I'm in for 100 loaded possibly more if we can get them for less than a dollar a round.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Looking through this posting I've tallied up an approximate of where the buy is at as of this posting, and this is where we're at with a high and low scenario.

Bullet $0.25 - $0.30
          Quantity 8000
          Purchase $2,000.00 - $2,400.00

Loaded $1.00 - $1.25
          Quantity 1200
          Purchase $1,200.00 - $1,500.00

TOTAL
          High $3,900.00
          Low $3,200.00

I believe we have enough interest in this to make it worth it to Hornady.

Comment

I'm in depending on prices also.

Comment

I'm in too, 100 rounds depending on price. Hogs are running wild on my Dad's place and I have to be ready to pile em up when I go visit for Thanksgiving.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Hogs at the trough. No bullets are even avail. yet. Hee ! Oink- in hymer.

Comment

I'd do 100 and 100 loaded. Need the brass anyway.

Tikka

Comment

I will be interested in 500 bullets for reloading as well.
                    Thanks

Comment

The implied political stance is not consistent with what a company in this business needs for survival, let alone continued good health.

We need to be sure of the relationship between DAVID & MARGARET HORNADY and Hornady Manufacturing today. To be sure, the Hornady history discussion indicates that they were part of the company in the '80s, but the contribution list tells us they are now retired. Further, it looks like the loss of their father, Joyce Hornady was what got them involved and may have been there under some duress to help keep the family business going during a trying time. So, are they really part of the Hornady community, especially today?

I would want to know:
                      • How long have they been retired?
                      • What influence do they have on the company
                        today?
                      • Do they reflect the attitudes of the rest of the Hornady family?

Comment

Yeah, I'm still looking into it. How connected are they with Hornady, who aggressively market products for evil black rifles to the tune of untold millions? I mean, Hornady has helped develop cartridges and ammo specifically for AR15's, when you look at this Z-Max craze, the .450 Bushmaster, the .30 RAR, the 123gr AMAX for the Grendel.

I would really like to see a statement from Hornady, because I'm looking at all my dies, my bullets, my reloading manual, and everything in a red box on my reloading bench, and planning a disposal strategy that doesn't involve giving them away to help promote what might be an anti-gun agenda. Kerrey is trailing in the polls, so why donate to him? He's the one thay was bribed to support Obamacare, and pull it over the line, if you remember.

I don't mean to knee-jerk on this, but to think that by spending my money on ammunition and reloading components, I am sending it to people who actively work to thwart my ownership of those products makes no sense at all.

Edit for update: Looks like Steve Hornady has donated to Deb Fischer (R) the one beating Kerrey right now, so I'm holstering my torch and pitchfork. Standing down, resuming "waiting to knee-jerk boycott" mode on anyone in the firearms industry. Hornady products are safe on my bench until I learn anything else.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

I certainly hope there's not a connection, but if there's a connection count me out.

That being said it makes absolutely no sense for an ammunition company to support a politician who doesn't fully support the 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Those were just individual contributors who are related to Hornady, but don't contribute on-behalf of the company. I accept guilt as knee-jerking on this one, and will probably just delete the posts. My bad. Hornady, as many know, is a huge contributor to the NRA and fighting for the 2A. It seems they have some family members that are out-of-line with Hornady's customers.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

As the old saying goes - "you can choose your friends but you cant choose your family" - and you certainly may not aprove of what they do (or who the knucklheads support)
                              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

What I learned from this is that any contributor to a politcal campaign has to list their occupation ( I know this from contributing myself), but the post on AR15.com that got me riled up presented the info in a way that led me to believe Hornady was somehow endorsing Kerrey.

If any employee of Hornady contributes to Joe Blow (D), they have to list their employer. That goes for family members as well, so it looked like there was an official connection between Hornady and the contributions. Hornady has no control over what family members and employees do with their personal money.

Since our individual rights have been under attack, with many successes on the side of confiscatory and criminalizing statists, my pitchfork and torches have quite the hair-trigger. Hornady is still good-to-go, from all that I'm seeing here.

Comment

Working...
                                X