• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

New Howa Mini-Action Mag Release

Besides the plastic "bottom metal", the mag release has got to be the biggest complaint about the Howa mini-action. DIPinc has came out with a solution for this as well. These are machined out of aluminum and anodized. They should be on the DIPinc web site shortly. Availability is for-casted to be in the next few weeks and pricing is still to be determined. I'll do a review on them as soon as I get one in my hands. I'd like to thank Bob at DIPinc for going through all the time and expense to develop these for us. Cutting down the plastic mag release lever does help, but it still bothered me that it was such soft plastic. This will be a nice addition to a wood stocked barreled action.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I like that, think I will have to order one myself, when they get them up for sale.

Comment

• roor
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

This Jay free a stupid question but will this work on a chassis that uses the same magazine?

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

I like it, nice low profile.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

roor,
          Not a stupid question at all. Unfortunately, I don't have a chassis to try it on. Also, there are three chassis that I can think of for the mini-action; MTD LSS, MDT BRN-1 and the LSI mini-action chassis. So it may potentially work on some but not all chassis.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

We're getting closer! Now if DiP could make a floor plate and internal magazine.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Jamesgang41
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2018

I’m down for one. Hate the stock one being at the balance point. Dropped many mags.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

I see that one getting the same "Accidental release" that the OEM Howa bottom plate and mag release got. The might want to consider making an aluminum copy of the Howa lever since they already set the shelf for the spring to preload, and maybe bevel out the bottom metal to allow for a shorter lever and get a gloved finger in to hit it....I'd simply just go for an aluminum copy.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

I got two "pre-production" samples to review.

Overall look and feel is great. They are anodized aluminum and feel like actual gun parts, not like a piece of my kids broken toys.

They are very low profile. This modified mag has already had the bottom plate thinned down and it is still about half as thick as that.

From top to bottom below:
                  A completly stock factory plastic LSI mag well and mag release lever.
                  A pre-production DIPinc aluminum mag well with a cut down LSI plastic mag release.
                  A current production DIPinc aluminum mag well with the new mag release.

I don't think that this will introduce "accidental mag drops". They change the direction of the mag release motion. With the factory lever, you pull it back towards the mag/trigger guard. With the new release lever, you hook your finger under it and pull down, away from the stock. It feels more natural for me at least.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

Got an update from DIPinc. They have rounded the corners a bit and drilled a small hole in them to access the set screw that holds the pin in place. With these small changes, I think that we will have the "cat's meow" for a detachable mag bottom metal.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Thanks for the update FG.

I will be getting one soon as they are for sale.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Stay tuned for a group buy. BFT has approved one, but I don't have the details from DIPinc yet.
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 6mmTCU
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

thanks Frontier Gear ! I'm in! I had cut my original down to not have accidental mag drops . When installed in my new DIP bottom metal is about impossible to release mag with gloves hands. This will be a great upgrade to go with the bottom metal .

Comment

• bowhunter
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2017

count me in on the group buy!

Comment

• drewsbow
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

Ohh yeah can't wait

Comment

Working...